Plumbers Recommended Technique of How to Unclog a Sink

Whether your San Rafael home is old or new, eventually you will have to deal with a clogged sink. If possible, your first move should be to call a professional plumber. They have the tools, training, equipment, and experience to remove the clog and get your sink and drain flowing normally.

Follow the Recommendations

San Rafael, CA draincleaning_720However, if you are unable to reach a plumber, there are a number of steps that professional plumbers recommend you take. If you follow those steps you will be able to remove the clog and use the sink until the plumber can get to your San Rafael home.

Clogged sinks are usually caused by the build-up of food particles, soap, oil, grease, soap, toothpaste, hair, and inorganic matter. The first step you need to take to get rid of a minor clog in the sink is to take out the sink strainer.

Often this is all it takes to clear a minor clog in the sink. Once the strainer is removed, the water will drain out and the sink will be empty. If that does not solve the problem, then it's time to go on to step two.

Once you have removed the sink strainer, make sure there is some water in the sink. Next, take a sink plunger and put it over the drain. Then give the plunger 5 or 6 forceful strokes. Wait 30 seconds.

If the water does not drain out, do a few more forceful stokes. If the water still has not drained out, try to reach a plumber again. If you are still unsuccessful, it is time to move on to step three. Ideally it's best to let a professional plumber handle this step because it can be messy.

Get the Required Supplies

To take the next step, you'll need a bucket and some rubber gloves. Look under the sink at the drain pipes. The 'U' shaped portion of the drain pipe you see is called the P-trap.

It's designed to trap waste and other things that get past the sink strainer and prevent them from going further into the drain pipe and causing a major problem. Put the bucket under the P-trap. Unscrew the P-trap. Clean it out by hand and put it back in place. Be sure to tighten it properly.

If you don't find the clog in the P-trap, it's beyond the P-trap. If that's the case, the best course of action is to wait for an experienced plumber.

Need assistance with your clogged San Rafael, CA sink? Give Bellows Plumbing, Heating & Air a call today at (831) 219-8644 and we would love to help.