10 Simple Ways to Prepare Your Home for the Summer Heat
Summertime is coming. Before the temperatures rise, you should prepare your home for summer heat.
These 10 simple tips will help you get ready to maintain the comfort of your home on days when it's sweltering hot outside.
10 Tips to Stay Comfortable Inside When it's Hot Outdoors
- Check Your HVAC System in the Spring: There's nothing worse than turning on your air conditioning on the first hot day of summer only to discover that it's not working. Have your AC checked by a professional before summer weather arrives.
- Your HVAC System Duties: Switch the thermostat over to the "Cool" setting. Change the HVAC filter every month for energy efficiency.
- Are Windows & Doors Energy Efficient? Ensure that the caulking and weather stripping around doors and windows is sound. Even the smallest leaks can allow a lot of heat to come in.
- Change to a Programmable Thermostat: A programmable thermostat keeps your home cool when you need it most.
- Whole House Fans: Use a whole house fan to distribute cool nighttime air throughout the house while getting rid of hot air in the attic.
- Install Ceiling Fans: Hot air that's standing still can be stifling. Use ceiling fans to move the air and increase comfort.
- Open Windows at Night: Nighttime air can be refreshingly cool. Use it in conjunction with your whole house or ceiling fans.
- Block Out the Sun: Draw the shades on southern facing windows during the hottest hours of the day to keep your home from heating up.
- Solar Window Film: Solar windows are a great way to warm up the home during wintertime, but they can also heat it up during summer. Use solar window film to reflect the heat outward.
- Cook Outdoors: Capitalize on warm weather and grill outdoors as often as possible.
Beat the Heat at Home
These easy to achieve tips will help you beat the heat long before it arrives. By preparing for summertime in advance, you can ensure the comfort of your home no matter what the thermometer says.
Keep HVAC maintenance and care at the top of your list to avoid breakdowns when you least want them.
Don’t let your A/C suck the fun out of summer.
Call Bellows Plumbing, Heating & Air at (831) 477-7150 for greener HVAC services in the Soquel area!