Hot water represents one of life’s necessities. Aside from its requirement for adequate cleaning and washing, it’s the use of hot water to bathe that most of us simply cannot live without. Regardless of how you rank the usefulness of its many employments, the sudden failure of a water heater presents a serious inconvenience. Not only this, but a water heater represents a fairly substantial investment into your home and comfort. All of these reasons underscore the importance of water heater maintenance.
Elements of Water Heater Maintenance
To keep your water heater functional for as long as possible, you should learn to perform some basic maintenance. The accomplishment of these tasks will help you realize the full lifespan and total value of your device.
- Check Your Anode Rod: The anode rod helps prevent the corrosion of your tank. If its interior wire is showing, you need a replacement.
- Flush Your Tank: Over time, mineral deposits will collect at the bottom of your water tank. Flush it once a year to prolong the life of your heating element and tank.
- Drain the Tank: If you plan to not use your water heater for an extended period, drain the tank to prevent flooding.
- Check the Pipes: Though it won’t lengthen the life of your water heater, checking its connected pipes for leaks will save you a lot of trouble.
- Check Your T & P Valve: This valve exists to reduce the temperature and pressure of your water heater. Check it once a year to ensure proper functionality.
If you are unsure of how to perform some of these practices, make sure to call for professional help. As a side note, you can also avoid common problems with sediment buildup through water softener installation.
Call Us Today for Service
At Bellows Plumbing, Heating & Air, we provide a full range of maintenance and repair options for water heaters. We also offer installation services, since even water heaters that receive dutiful repairs and maintenance will eventually need replacement. For any needs with water heater maintenance in Soquel, Santa Cruz, and San Rafael, CA, or any plumbing issues, make sure to give us a call today at 831-244-6718.